Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Fratellis

For my first post I'd like to talk about the Fratellis. I got into the Fratellis because of their song Flathead, which was featured on an iPod commercial.


At first I just downloaded that, and it shot up the most played list for my family's computer pretty quickly. I have literally danced by myself to this song, I don't know what it is about it, but I like it. I later got the whole album (Costello Music), and was pleasantly surprised. At this time their next album (Here We Stand) was just weeks away from release, and I got it as soon as it did. I can honestly say that there is not a single song by them that I dislike. When I want to listen to them on my ipod, I just choose artist, select all songs, and hit shuffle.

Another song you have likely heard is Chelsea Dagger. The Blackhawks made it their goal/victory song a few years ago, and a lot of other arenas/stadiums have started to play it. You may know it as the doot da doot da da da da da dada doot song. It isn't their best song, but it's still pretty enjoyable.



Lyrics are important to me, and I would characterize The Fratellis' lyrics as aesthetically appealing, and the mood of their songs as fun/happy/upbeat, while still being a little twisted. I don't like to describe bands by saying that they sound like other bands that had a baby, and that baby acquired the musical sound of its parents, but if I did then I wouldn't use that analogy anyways since The Fratellis have a pretty unique sound. They are from Scotland, so that may not be entirely true, but they aren't quite like anything I have heard.


The Fratelli's are currently on hiatus, but not officially broken up. Pursuing other work and having babies has prevented the band from working on any new material together.


Here are some other good tunes by them:

More lowkey:


Business as usual:

Another favorite:


My current favorite song by them:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?