Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The xx

Formed in London, England, this indie-pop band quickly grew to fame after their self-titled debut album was released in 2009. Their sound is difficult to describe with words, but it is very eclectic and soothing without sacrificing drive and punch. The band features two main singers, Romy Madley Croft (female), and Oliver Sim (male). The vocalists will often sing different verses of songs, and then come together to harmonize the choruses. Its the perfect music to listen to during a late night drive or a relaxing evening. I actually enjoy listening to them in any situation, as their music is soothing but it has a punch to it with a hint of aggressiveness on a few of their songs. No, its not just you, that last description made no sense. I suppose you will just have to listen to understand what I mean. The xx is very popular in England, as they are up for best British album at the 2011 Brit Awards. I think that it is only a matter of time before Americans fall for this band like the British have. Have a listen.

Here is a song you may have heard at or advertising for certain sporting events. Its an instrumental called "Intro"


Another song I like from the album is arguably their most popular song, called "Crystalised."

This song features that nonsense description of their sound which I mentioned before.


My current favorite song by The xx is called "Islands." This song features how well the band sounds when the two vocalists sing in harmony. I will warn you the music video is very strange.


Here is one more song for good measure. It's called "Fantasy," and is a great song to listen to when you are attempting to sleep. If you're awake, I recommend blasting this song on a subwoofer attached system, as the bass is just outstanding.


Thanks for reading and I hope you can enjoy listening to this band as much as I do. 

Photo source: http://www.kspace.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/the-xx.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Great Band Definitely a good choice to blog cause everyone needs to know who these guys are.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?